Monday, January 23, 2012

My First Tornado Warning...

Well.  What an evening.  For the past few days, the weather forecasters began to tell us about a strong storm coming through the area on Sunday night.  I didn't really know what that meant.  In West Virginia, a strong storm means wind, lightening, rain, maybe hail.  Did you know that in Kentucky, that lingo means possible tornadoes???? Well, I do now!  Goodness.

Since I really don't have anything to get excited about normally (no meetings, presentations, promotions), this ranked pretty high on my list.  So I began to prepare our "bunker" on Sunday afternoon.  Our "bunker" is a little closet (it's a lot smaller when the three of us are in there) behind the steps.  I put in blankets, water, and the weather radio.  We moved Jacob into our room for the evening.  And I pulled up different websites and radar maps every five minutes.  Yes, I was freaked out. 


And then it happened.  We went from a tornado watch to a tornado warning.  Our previously agreed upon plan was that Josh would retrieve Jacob and I would go straight to the bunker.  Well, Josh wasn't fast enough.  So while he was trying to get a few extras (his phone, keys, wallet, etc.) I was yelling "GET IN THE BUNKER!  GET JACOB! HURRY UP! WE'RE GOING TO DIE!"  And no, that isn't an exaggeration.


The first warning was from 10:40pm to 11:00pm.  And then the warning was extended until 11:30pm.  Josh decided at 11:00pm he needed batteries, so he went on a search.  I would periodically open the closet door and yell at him to come back.  Once he came back, I knew I had to do it.  You see, I should have peed at 10:40pm instead of yelling like a banshee.  So I ran out of our closet into the toliet.  I was pretty sure the tornado was going to come at that moment and whip me away, while seated on the potty.  Goodness.


Thankfully, Jesus was watching out for us and we had no damage besides a few dents on our garage door.  I think I've calmed down a bit.  Now I know what to expect and what those sirens sound like.  Although, I *really* hope we have no more warnings until March!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment