Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Animals. To buy, or not to buy?

My dear friend Kelly may have done something detrimental to my parenting.  I can't be sure, because Jacob is only 8 months old.  But, you see, Kelly introduced Jacob to animals.  To be specific, two fish.  He is so delighted at them.  When he sees them, he kicks, giggles and gets so excited.  He does this with pretty much any animals that will be still long enough for him to see. 

So after telling Josh about this, he asked if we should get fish.  My immediate response was "NO!"  Yes, it may have been a bit dramatic.  But I know what happens when pets are bought.  The mom takes care of it.  Yes, of course the child will make lofty promises that will fall through within a day.  And, lucky for me, my child won't even make the promises.  I think I'd be ok with a fish except for changing it's water.  I'm pretty sure my gracefulness will come out in full and the fish will end up flopping on the floor and dying.  Along with the fact that all the fish we've ever had have died.  I just don't think it's a good plan.

Eventually I want a family dog.  But it needs to be small and manageable.  So is it worthwhile to start off with something small, relatively easy to take care of?  Or should we just wait until we can get a dog?  Ugh.  Either way, I'm pretty sure the fish will meet the sea via toliet within at least two weeks of having it.

Would you get a pet?? If you have, what's your advice to me??

No comments:

Post a Comment