Monday, December 13, 2010

Ahhhh... all done!!!!!

Yesterday, my dear sweet husband graduated from WVU with his Ph.D.  Technically, it was a convocation because finals aren't over yet, but he's graduating no matter what!  So yesterday, we spent the afternoon watching young and old, men and women realize their dreams.  I was so very excited for him!! 

As we listened to the speaker, I found myself amused.  Maybe not the right word for a graduation, but nevertheless.  She spoke about how to get a job.  How you should change your email address to something professional, clean up your facebook, etc. etc.  I was hoping that for most of these people, this was not the first time they heard this!  But what struck me as intriguing was that she never talked about what you should do when you have a job.  So I feel like I need to give my own advice.  They should have hired me!! (Yeah, yeah, I know...)

My advice:
  • Never let work come before family.  Although most people think, uh, duh, of course not, it's not as easy as it sounds.  So many companies want your full attention and time.  And they don't care if it's the weekend or if you're at an event for your child.
  • If you stop working and stay at home with your child, you are completing the most important job anyone could give you.  Do not feel like you are less of a man/woman because of it.
  • Always strive to do your best.  Don't just wing it.  They can tell when you wing it!
  • Keep your singing to a minimum.  No one really likes to hear that.  Wait until you have a child who doesn't care how you sing...
  • Enjoy every moment.  It's much harder than it sounds.  Much harder.  Even enjoy when you're frustrated, because you are growing as an individual.
See, I told you I should have been the speaker! Hahaha, I can only imagine how bored they would have been!  And in the end, all I could think about was 18 years from now and this little boy I have who will be accepting his diploma.  These next 18 years better go SLOW! 

What would you say to a graduating class??

No comments:

Post a Comment