Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Our first crib incident...

What a day! Jacob has been sleeping in his crib since he was 2 weeks old. Yesterday, he turned six months (Happy Birthday Baby Boy!!!). Today was the first incident while napping. Jacob woke up into his morning nap and I knew he was still tired (he was quite grumpy!). So I worked on getting him back to sleep. I entered quietly, stuck the pacifier back in, and left. About the third time I had done this, all the sudden Jacob started screaming bloody murder.

I'm not sure how he figured out the more he screams the faster I come, but he was louder than I ever heard him. So, I knew something was wrong. As I entered the room a bit frantically, it took me a moment to identify the issue. And then I saw it. I saw the leg, peeking through the crib slats. No, it wasn't stuck. He just got it to the point he couldn't bring it back in. I promise, there was no injury!

So I removed the leg from the crib slat. I didn't even take a picture first! And he kept screaming. The danger was over, but he was still upset. So I did what any kind, caring mother would. I gave him his pacifier and left again. Looking back, it may not have been the kindest thing to do. Maybe I should have picked him up and cuddled him. And if he hadn't fallen back to sleep in 2 minutes, I would have! I think my main thought is that I don't want him to realize that screaming bloody murder will bring me in. I only want him to use it when it's true!!

What was your first crib incident???

No comments:

Post a Comment