Thursday, September 9, 2010

The club of motherhood...

Today was Jacob's very first play date! Alright, he slept in his stroller while I talked to other mom's with toddlers. It was a BLAST! The one woman in MOPS told us that play dates were more for the moms than the kids. I AGREE. Especially since most of the moms sat and chatted while their kids worked on their riding skills. It was so nice to spend some time with other moms who understood why you had throw-up on your shoulder and were dressed in a t-shirt. Speaking of which, I better get myself some nicer clothes for play dates! Haha!

It just reminds me of how neat this new club of motherhood is that I've joined. I think as soon as you become pregnant, you become a member. It's one membership that requires no fees and has no obligations (except, of course, being in possession of a child!). It starts off with those sweet looks of understanding when your can't see past your toes any longer. Then it goes to the compassion when your child won't stop screaming. Then the knowledgeable look of "we've been there" when they just won't listen.

I'm so very glad I joined this new group! It's definitely been so neat to meet other mom's and know that they understand every struggle I'm going through, because they've been there too. And even though they now look so put together and clean, I know they use to wear t-shirts with spit-up on them too.

So what was the moment you realized you were part of a new club called motherhood??

3 comments:

  1. I realized I was in the motherhood club when I became noticeably pregnant and all of these women started giving me big knowing smiles and sympathetic glances and telling me their stories. They also often asked me "Is this your first?" which I hope means that I still look young...I love the club too, but membership can be kind of intense, but then he smiles at me and I remember why women continue to have kids...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz!! I'm loving reading your blog!! Hope you're doing well!! Think there's any chance you'll be at homecoming or alumni band?

    -Krista Schmidt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Lindsay! That smile is worth everything, isn't it??

    Krista, I'm glad you're enjoying it and hoping it doesn't make you not want to have kids!! Ha! We are planning on being at homecoming this year, so if you are, hopefully we can catch up!!!

    ReplyDelete