Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Quid Pro Quo...

According to Wikipedia, "Quid pro quo (From the Latin meaning "What for what?") indicates a more-or-less equal exchange or substitution of goods or services."

For example, when I let my husband sleep in yesterday morning, I want to sleep in this morning. An equal exchange. I think this is something that should be required. If I wash bottles one evening, the next evening it should be his turn. If I change a poopy diaper, the next poopy diaper is his.

For some reason, he does not understand this concept. I think I need to read him the definition again. Maybe because I'm home all day and he works?? Just because I have a show line-up and still haven't written my five thank-yous from September means nothing (I swear I'm getting them to you!!!). Nothing, I say.

So, yes, I was a grumpy monster this morning when I realized I would not be able to sleep in. My mother can attest to this fact, as can Jacob. But I got over it. Maybe that's the mom thing... even when you don't have quid pro quo, you can still survive and get through the day.

Maybe I'll get to sleep in tomorrow... or, eighteen years from now.

What was one thing you did that you wished for an equal exchange???

3 comments:

  1. I wish there was someone in town with a child who also does not have parents and in-laws in town so we can exchange babysitting more often. Granted, the family we have around here is awesome, but I wish I had someone to swap with consistently. And my husband does not understand the quid pro quo thing either...this morning after I said to him that no matter how much childcare he does it will never compare to what I have done he came back with, "That's true, but you'll never work as much as I've worked" Yeah, because going to sit in front of a computer and around a lot of adults is the same as being isolated in the house with spit up, someone nursing on you for a year, diapers day in and day out, and fussing and crying, and getting up in the middle of the night (yeah I know I only did it for 7 weeks), feeding someone else while they fuss, telling someone else no and being responsible for his safety.......yeah, that's the same. I know I get to see more smiles and playing and laughing and I get more cuddles, but geez, don't tell me that motherhood is not harder than being an engineer because I will not believe it. Maybe manual labor and ER nursing is harder, but not engineering. Ok, that's my rant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! You're in my May/June support thread, and was excited to see that you blog too. Thought I'd come by and check it out! (AND comment... I know what you mean when people say they read and then don't say anything...)

    I hear you on this. With #1, Kris didn't always get it. But now with #2, he has quickly learned how this works. :) But we still have our bumps along the way!

    Sleep, oh sleep - how we mothers miss you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay - I agree!! I don't think teaching some classes is as hard as having a little one depend on you 24-7... but I have to be grateful for staying at home too, right?? Argh!!

    Sarah - Thanks for commenting!!!! And you have given me hope if we have another child!!

    ReplyDelete