Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Child is clingy...

Before, I could put Jacob on the ground and pretty much walk away. Do whatever I wanted. Look down at the floor every once in awhile to make sure he was alive. I could walk into a different room and check email, change bed sheets, etc. And, no worries! I knew he would stay put and for the most part be happy. It was a happy existence. Except the no sleep part...

Now? OH MY GOODNESS. If I put him on the floor he starts screaming. Now, it's only at nighttime right now. Or he's happy on the floor for approximately 3.5 minutes. And then he screams. It's almost like I've abandoned him... which, obviously, I haven't! Goodness kid, I'm like 10 feet away!!!!!!!!! I've tried reasoning with him. This goes really well with a 5 month old (sarcasm). I get down by his face and tell him I'm right here. And he screams. Uggggh.

So, I've resorted to picking him up. He screams, I pick him up. Can anyone say creating a bad habit?? I sure can! I think I noticed it yesterday. He screamed quickly, looked up to me to see if I was going to come get him. When I didn't, he screamed more. Some may say that he's still little and is trying to tell me he needs something... but all he wants is to be held. I love cuddling, but I also love getting things done. This is driving me NUTS!

Has this happened to any of you?? If yes, HOW DID YOU FIX IT?!?!?!

5 comments:

  1. oh dear...well Lydia turns 3 months next week and has done this for her entire life. shes never been happy when i put her down and leave her (awake that is). talk about bad habits from day one!! its easier to pick them up than to listen to the screaming! please...if anyone has tips let me know also!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is happening to me too, but I have no idea how to fix it. Bryan can be in a deep sleep and I go to put him down. That lasts maybe 3-5 minutes on a good day before he wakes up screaming. He does (thankfully) entertain himself pretty well when awake (and in a good mood). I also love the cuddling, but getting stuff done is also nice, and necessary! My thought is, they are only little for awhile so I might as well enjoy it because soon he won't want to snuggle with his Mommy so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bouncy chair- while they still can't crawl out of it- is sometimes the answer (not always- sometimes they will still scream until you pick them up out of the chair). If your chair vibrates, buckle baby into it in the same room where you're getting stuff done...fold the laundry while singing or talking baby talk about the colors or the types of clothes, clink the dishes together when you're emptying/loading the dishwasher and narrate when you're cooking/baking, etc. The hardest is being on the computer because you are concentrating on what you're doing and can't really talk to baby too much while you're doing it. So the computer should be mom time during nap time. It's so hard though- they often don't cooperate with the chair either, but it's worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a natural thing for babies to want their mamas all the time. I recommend using a moby wrap, sling or carrier while trying to get some stuff done. remember this too will pass. Probably quicker than you can imagine so enjoy it while you can. And as far as bad habits, a babies wants and needs are the same until they are about a year so you are only satisfying a need of his. No harm in that!! You will get through mama Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for these great answers!! We're trying multiple things and will hopefully find some success soon! I only have a baby bjorn and we tried that the other day, but I ended up hitting his head on the fridge (eeek!)... so we're not going to try that one again. I need to look into the wraps and other good carriers!

    ReplyDelete