Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Crying it out...

So, before today's post, I need to write about something I saw on TV.  Do you remember me talking about the post-pregnancy jeans?? I think I found them!!!!!!!!!!! https://www.pajamajeans.com  That's right, pajama jeans!  If any of you try them out, let me know what you think!  I think I'd have to do some serious convincing of Josh to get some...

So as of Sunday night, Josh and I agreed to begin working with Jacob to sleep through the night.  I was pretty sure it would be horrible.  I was pretty sure we would be awake for hours on end, and we would never sleep again.  Ok, I may be a little extreme.  Just a tad.  Good news?  It was no where near that!  The first night, he woke up around 3am and cried for about 15 minutes before going back to sleep.  WHAT?! Is that for real?? I was shocked beyond belief! 

Last night, he woke up at 5am for a quick pacifier reinsertion and back to sleep.  This is amazing!!  I can't wait for tonight in hopes that the sleep is amazing.  Man!  I think we're both kicking ourselves for not starting this earlier.  I think crying it out is a very good thing to do when done correctly.  Here was our plan:

  • Go in every 5 minutes to replace pacifier, flip over, cover with blanket, etc.
  • After one hour, pick him up, calm him down, and do whatever was necessary for going back to sleep.
  • If after 7 days there is no difference, stop and try something else.
We also made sure that Jacob didn't need the food.  He is over 18 lbs, has 4 meals a day with rice cereal in his bottles, and he's in the 75th percentile for weight.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to eat in the middle of the night!  We also bought overnight diapers so the potty is not an issue.

So that's what we did.  And it works!  And I wish we had done it much sooner!  Here's to more consistent and wonderful sleep!

Have you done cry-it-out?  What method did you use for sleep training?

No comments:

Post a Comment