Thursday, January 6, 2011

Those pesky people at the grocery store...

Today I took Jacob with me to the grocery store.  If you follow me on twitter, you know that my ham was bad and our dinner ended up being pepperoni and cheese subs.  I consider that a new low.  So I tried to talk Josh into stopping by on the way home and grabbing a few things.  He informed me that since I was going to be out, I could stop too.  Blasted.  Failed plan A. 

I had a play date at Chick-fil-a this morning, so I decided to go to the store afterward.  I thought it was a good plan.  The only problem I could foresee was Jacob not getting his morning nap and being a bit grumpy.  So we headed to the store, and he did pretty good.  If he started to fuss, I used the pacifier (aka Shut Up Stick per cousin Rachel).  The problem came when we got into line.  Since he couldn't see me, he got upset. 

I guess I'm used to being surrounded by other moms who understand.  They give that look of sympathy and compassion.  They understand.  They know what it feels like when your kid goes berserk.  Unfortunately, I was not around any of these people at the store.  Instead, I received looks that said, shut up that kid before I beat you to a pulp.  Ok, MAYBE that's a slight exaggeration.  Maybe they were just annoyed that he was making noise.  But really?  He's a baby!  And he was doing good!!!  And truthfully, I kind of like if he annoys those kinds of people anyway.  Next time I should encourage him to keep yelling...

Any secrets for grocery store shopping?  Any tips for disgruntled shoppers??

2 comments:

  1. sorry it didn't go smoothly! it sounds like you at least got what you needed, so I would call that success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I thought too! I was glad he was patient enough to erupt only when it was time to go. I think maybe the rolling cart helped too?? All I know is he's been napping like a champ this afternoon!! Ha!

    ReplyDelete