Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hats off to the dads...

Today at MOPS we talked about dads.  We had a panel of three brave men who came and answered our questions and gave advice of things they do and ideas they share with their wives that help them parent better.  At first, I was a little weary of how today would go.  You're just not sure if someone is going to gang up on them and verbally beat them up.  But it didn't go that way at all!  It was seriously awesome.  And it made me so thankful for my wonderful husband and fantastic dad!

The one thing that stuck with me is this.  Relationship without rules leads to resentment.  Rules without relationship leads to rebellion.  How true is that!  And what a challenge to moms and dads.  How do we find that delicate balance between rules and relationships so that our child is raised into a wonderful adult.  Sometimes I think I look to far ahead into what we will be heading into down the road, but I guess I could call it being prepared.  I know he won't remember playing with me on the floor right now when he's 16, but I still want to begin to build that relationship as well as define it with rules.

What a profound statement packed into such few words.  And they all start with "R"!  Yep, that's one of the things I took away.  Although everything else was very awesome, that was definitely the one thing I hope sticks with me forever.  And hopefully we can begin to create a solid relationship with Jacob now and also start teaching him the rules that he needs to abide by as well.

What is one piece of advice you wished you had known years ago??

1 comment:

  1. I really like that...going to use it with my clients in addition to my favorite B's "Balance and Boundaries" Thanks!

    ReplyDelete